The human body is fascinating, unique, and powerful. The tongue, for instance, although a small part of the body, when in its correct, default position, has the power to heal and improve our overall health. Mind-blowing right? This isn’t usually discussed even in the field of medicine but is a sure and safe path towards wellness.
In today’s episode, I welcome an old colleague of mine, Dr. Michelle Veneziano. She and I went to medical school together. She specializes in osteopathic manipulative therapy after medical school and is a leader in the field. During this episode, we talk about the importance of breathing through the nose instead of the mouth, the tongue’s ability to heal our bodies and improve our health, how it helps us control anxiety, and a lot more.
So, join us in this episode as we uncover the healing powers of the tongue.
• Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones (https://www.drmichellegordon.com/podcasts/)
• Join the Menopause Movement with Dr. Michelle Gordon Online Community
• Connect with me on Instagram @drmichellegordon
• Follow me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DrMichelleGordon)
• Join in on the next beta group (https://bit.ly/betawait)
• Michelle Veneziano Website (https://www.michellevenezianodo.net/) and Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/michellevenezianodo/)
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor (Paid link: https://amzn.to/37BlFYk)
• Close Your Mouth: Buteyko Clinic Handbook for Perfect Health by Patrick McKeown (Paid link: https://amzn.to/33OnKif)
• Becoming Supernatural: How Common People are Doing the Uncommon by Joe Dispenza (Paid link: https://amzn.to/3qAGPP0)
What’s discussed in this Episode
[03:33] Michelle’s introduction and background
[06:06] The osteopathic philosophy
[08:25] What is osteopathic manipulation
[09:36] How the tongue affects function and form
[10:39] Releasing tension from the tongue allows the body to rest
[11:35] Why breathing through your nose helps the body
[14:24] How keeping the mouth shut makes a difference
[18:43] Breastfeeding trains the tongue to rest on the roof of the mouth
[22:04] Exercise to help open airways
[23:43] The Mewing Technique
[25:15] How the tongue affects facial proportions
[26:32] What is cranial osteopathy
[29:45] Work of a functional orthopedist
[31:04] Electrical currents and yoga
[35:47] The relationship between tongue and braces
[38:08] Controlling your anxiety by getting the tongue in the proper position
[41:38] Importance of hydration
[44:42] Why the electrical body should synchronize with the mechanical ability to cycle
[45:56] Resting and health is our natural state
[46:46] Systems for healthier bodies are not compatible with dominant culture
[48:45] The dangers of being in a state of stress
[51:02] What happens when you workout your masseter muscle
[52:17] Where to find cranial osteopathy specialists
[54:21] Michelle’s takeaways and exercise tips
About the Guest
Michelle Veneziano is a family physician and clinical professor who specializes in non-surgical orthopedics. She believes in hands-on and consciousness practices or activities to help strengthen the body’s core, returning the balance and wellbeing of an individual. She aims to help different people overcome and prevent health struggles through methods that promote ease and enjoyment.
For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Menopause Movement Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
If you have any questions, thoughts, or ideas, you can share them with me at email@example.com. You may also join our online community at Menopause Movement with Dr. Michelle Gordon.
I hope you enjoyed this podcast, and I hope you will take action to look and be your best self. Thanks for listening!