I used to tell myself how much I hated my body.
Ever since I gained weight with my pregnancy, I had trouble loving the body I had.
I was frustrated, disappointed, and frankly, I felt like a failure.
But the fitness industry and social media are constantly showing us their “ideal” body type.
And while the ideal looks beautiful and shiny, we may not appreciate ourselves because we can get stuck in a comparison trap…
Contrary to what you see online, every effort you make is enough!
The road to fitness isn’t about becoming the “ideal,” but it is about starting and being in a place where you let your expectations go to make room for consistency.
In this episode, we welcome fitness trainer Marianna Kane.
We talk about how women can overcome their fear of pain and get back into fitness.
Marianne highlights the issue of perfectionism in the fitness industry and how you can overcome it.
I found that her observations were a lot similar to my own experiences in weight loss.
The advice she gives on how to enjoy fitness and love yourself while making progress is helpful to all of us.
Change your mindset about your body and learn how to start exercising in this episode!
• Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones https://www.menopausemovement.com/podcasts
• Connect with me on Instagram @drmichellegordon
• Follow me on Facebook
• Check out our course you can take in exchange for feedback and a video testimonial and avoid the application here https://www.menopausemovement.com/hormones
• Visit and reach out to Lucy through her website https://www.lucyseligman.com/
• Sign-up to the video workshop https://www.menopausemovement.com/workshop
• Check out Coach Marianne’s website https://equippedwithstrength.com/
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It by Ethan Kross https://amzn.to/2R9jIxq
• The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael Singer https://amzn.to/3nxCHxL
• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear https://amzn.to/2QHZrzl
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
[0:00] Introduction & Offer
[3:57] About Marianne and her shift to fitness
[8:17] The mindset you have of your body
[10:22] Look at how you talk to yourself
[13:04] Pain is a biopsychosocial experience
[14:18] People are not happy about the journey because they’re waiting for the end
[18:22] Knowing when you’ve done enough
[20:52] Start with small habits that are impossible to fail
[22:43] Downfalls of following fitness people in social media
[24:27] Do a workout that fits your lifestyle
[26:14] The best exercise is one that you will do
[28:04] Beginners have the advantage of burning fat and gaining muscle at the same time
[33:45] Fitness perfectionism
[38:53] On the topic of losing baby weight
[40:45] Pressure from society, media, and the fitness industry
[47:50] The best way to measure progress is not the scale
About the Guest:
Coach Marianne Kane is an ACSM-certified fitness trainer who aims to help women prevent chronic pain through strength training. She got into the world of fitness after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis and noticed a fear of pain. Her approach to fitness goes beyond losing weight, and she focuses instead on finding something that feels good, which includes creating a positive mindset and good habits.