I say this a lot: “Anything worth doing is worth sucking at it first.”
And it’s true because you can’t lose a hundred pounds overnight…
For me in menopause, it took 5 years before I really understood what was going on.
And when I finally decided that I got to do something about the weight that wouldn’t shed…
I started exercising and I lost nothing.
I had to realize that what worked in my 20s and 30s won’t work anymore because things are different.
The other thing that happened was really understanding that exercise is not a weight loss tool.
You see, the diet and fitness industry want you to believe that exercise is the tool for weight loss.
And it wasn’t until menopause was happening (and it was super disruptive) that I decided that I had to get the word out.
In today’s episode I’ll be talking more about that with Kinesiologist, Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, and Certified High Performance Coach, Tanja Shaw.
Tanja helps women who have been struggling with their diet get to a place where they can have their happy, healthy weight, permanently, naturally, and without the obsession so they can be freed up and live their life.
During the podcast we talk about who Tanja is, how she got started with weight loss and getting off the diet roller coaster PLUS:
• Obsession with weight and how it detracts from the joy in our lives
• How hope is not a success strategy
• Stress as a factor in weight gain
• The SHOULDs we tell ourselves and how they are detrimental to our progress
• The importance of language: Whatever the language that we use, especially with ourselves
• The role consistency plays in success
• The three phases of action Tanya plans
• Patience, patience, patience
• What to celebrate when you start to see some success
And stay to the end to find out what is normal eating and how to get it started.
If you have decided to make a change and get support, it doesn’t matter where you get it, you’re going to find it.
Tune in to today’s podcast and discover how to create a body you love!
• Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones https://www.menopausemovement.com/blog
• Connect with me on Instagram @drmichellegordon
• Follow me on Facebook
• Join the MENO-Pod Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/menopausemovement
• Apply for our current LIVE Beta test at NO CHARGE ($499 Value) in exchange for feedback and testimonials. https://www.menopausemovement.com/betajoin
• Sign up for the 28-Day MENO-Belly Challenge here https://www.menopausemovement.com/challenge
• Visit Tanja Shaw’s website https://www.tanjashaw.com/
Books and Documentaries mentioned in this episode:
• The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image (Compass) https://amzn.to/37LMn0L
• The Success Principles(TM) – 10th Anniversary Edition: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be https://amzn.to/3yQTWPN
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
[6:22] Welcome, Tanja!
[11:25] Know how to build a better relationship with your body
[13:47] First, start working on your identity piece
[14:51] Hope is not a strategy, we need to be more intentional
[15:13] Self-acceptance is not complacency
[17:43] If you decide to make a change, get support
[20:34] Break the ties between exercise, diet, and weight loss
[23:36] The power of the simple shifts in our language
[31:36] Doing something you think is impossible, gives you more fuel to pursue your dreams
[32:30] Tanja’s approach to her clients
[32:56] The three-step process that Tanja follows
[36:43] The hard part – when the plateau or challenge comes up
[39:25] Acknowledging and celebrating your wins
[43:50] Why do women gain weight in menopause and what to do about it
[48:49] Set an outcome and know what the process is
[51:41] Normal eating and how to become a normal eater
[55:45] Believe that it’s possible
About the Guest:
Tanja Shaw is a life and weight loss coach. She is the host of the Fit and Vibrant You podcast and the founder of Fit and Vibrant You Over 50 and the Ascend Fitness and Lifestyle a holistic health coaching studio in Chilliwack BC.
Tanja has a reputation for helping thousands of women get into their happy, healthy weight, permanently, naturally without the obsession so they can live their life.
Tanja, her husband Keith, and their son Jacob live in Chilliwack BC which is about an hour outside Vancouver, Canada. She loves being active outdoors – running, hiking, paddleboarding, mountain biking, and camping. She also loves a good cup of coffee and a glass of red wine.